Life of DnA


The Life Of DnA...

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Tried & Tested Series: Colonic Irrigation

A bit of a personal topic? You're all probably thinking! But not really, I feel. Why? because it's a part of maintaining a healthy body and one should always be comfortable with their own body...

For those whom are too shy to ask about it or discuss it - this "Tried & tested series" will help you to make up your own mind, but yet, know that someone has tried and tested it! It will also help you to dispel the myths of this procedure!

So what exactly is colonic irrigation? Its basically a safe and effective method, using repeated, gentle flushing of water to cleanse the colon of waste material.

The reason why I went for it was because I suffer from eczema and recently, I had a flare-up due to things I were not supposed to eat! (Treats!) Also, my bowel habits were not great. I could at times pass stools only once a week (bearing in mind - if you eat alot, then the contents in your bowel must be impacted, therefore, toxic!!! Becos, what goes in, should technically come out! And other times, I had diarrheoa... I also suffered from bloatedness. So, something's wrong there...!

So, how do you know if u have toxic material in your colon? Common signs include: headaches, backaches, constipation, fatigue, bad breath, body odour, irritability, confusion, skin problems, abdominal gas, bloating, diarrhoea, sciatic pain, and many more! Yes, true, the signs are all very vague and non-specific... but only you know yourselves if your system is sluggish!

After researching the topic and talking to others who had used the procedure - I psyched myself up and booked the appointment! I was ofcourse, apprehensive! Is it safe? Does it hurt? What should I expect? Will it work? Its so embarrassing!

Last week I went with a fren to the clinic and the lady who was fully trained talked me through the whole process and explained each step to me... First, we filled out a health assessment. We talked about diet, exercise, other factors which may affect our health... We then took some readings of my vitals (e.g. weight, BP).

As the procedure progressed, I was told to lay on a "bed" with a towl over my lower body half and take my trousers off... The atmosphere was relaxing and warm with soothing music in the background... I was lying on my back and she began to massage my stomach area... she would tap my tummy area explain the different sounds (I had gas on the rhs and impaction on the lhs!). I then had to lay on my left and she inserted the instrument (which was like a metal tap attached to plastic tubes). She continued to say "I will now start the water, tell me if the pressure gets too much". Pressure?!?! How will I know it's enough?!?!? I can tell you, you do know!!! It's like your busting to goto the toilet. Anyway, the lady has a rough idea of how much water to use anyway!!! So as she pumps the water into your colon, you dont actually feel anything! The water isnt cold, the only thing you feel is when she releases the water out of the colon and the pressure is released... And "things" come out!! We did this for about 5 mins to get the procedure moving.

She then told me to lie on my back as though I was giving birth (dont worry the towel is still hiding your assets!). And she proceeded to massage my tummy area and continue with the flushing of water procedure... Wow, I could feel the gas come out and at the start, when she was massaging, you could feel "hard" areas... but as she carried on - it was getting "softer"... This whole thing continues for 45mins to 1hour... I was worried that what if "I leak"... I can tell you it doesnt!

At the end of the procedure, I did feel less bloated and I had lost a few pounds! I was told to avoid red meat for 1 week and to take some probitics and was shown how to massage my tummy area.

So, the summary? Not as daunting as I thought! My personal dignity was maintained and after the gentle insertion of a small tube into the rectum, you are completely covered. Rubber tubing carried clean water in and waste out in a gravity pressured system. This procedure is non-habit forming and there was no mess or odour (even though you think there is!). The colon therapist is able to work loose and eliminate far more toxic waste than any other short-term technique (enemas and laxatives). Now, I frequent the toilet daily and am less bloated. Also, my skin is clearer. Will I be going again? Yeah probably! (twice a year)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home