Life of DnA


The Life Of DnA...

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Taking so many pills - is it necessary?

This morning, actually every morning I ingest a number of pills!... pills consisting of:

A-Z vitamins and minerals (I have allergies to cow's milk and egg)
Omega-3 fish oils (for supple joints, circulation and brain function)
Evening Primrose oils (for beautiful skin & hair and to help with hormones)
Probiotics (to have the friendly bacteria in my tummy to digest the food)
Anthihistamine (to prevent my allergies from ruining my day)

Do I/you really need them?

You should always try to eat a varied diet - to meet your nutritional needs. Sometimes, vitamin/mineral supplements may help provide you with the nutrients that may otherwise be eaten in less than recommended amounts. If you are healthy and you meet your nutritioanl needs then a supplement may actually not benefit you!

For some categories of people - you will need to take supplements (for example, if you're thinking of becoming pregnant, you will need to take folic acid; older adults, people with dark skin, and people who get insufficient exposure to sunlight may want to consider taking vitamin D from vitamin D-fortified foods and/or supplements).

However, you need to remember that vitamin/mineral supplements are not a replacement for a healthy diet. In addition, not everyone can take supplements without causing harm to themselves - so please check first with your Dr or pharmacist.


Conclusion: Yes I need them! I take them because it makes me feel better (my joints, skin, hormonal and memory!!). Although, I eat a varied diet, I dont eat egg nor cow's milk and not that much fish - so, I think i will benefit from supplements. It may be an expensive "hobby" but that's the price you have to pay to look and feel great, and prepare me for my future years to come!

If you need more info visit:
BBC's Health
Medical-site

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home